Wednesday, September 2, 2009

ABC's & 123's

Hi Friends & Happy Wednesday! I've got to scoot today, kids have dr appts & other things to do today which means I'm super busy!! I hate days that are busy ya know--I just hate runnin' around all the time--arghhh! Looking forward to a 4 day weekend holiday though--need some relaxation before school starts on Tuesday & chaos reigns supreme in the Dean household, LOL! Luckily my kids get themselves ready & bookbacks packed so I don't have to deal with that anymore--I'm too bleary eyed in the morning to do very much sometimes, hee hee! I'm definitely not a morning gal, never have been & never will be---I'm a die-hard nite owl!! Growing up everyone in my family were mornin' peeps & I wasn't so it was hard, but I've raised my kids to be nite-owls like me & hubby, hee hee! We're the strange neighbors that are cleaning out the garage or planting bulbs at 10 pm or watching tv until 1 am!! That's just the way we are & we love it!!

******************************************
September Magnolia-licious DT Sketch Project

Since it's the beginning of the month that means another Magnolia-licious DT Sketch for ya. This time it was Diana's turn and she picked a fun Scor-Pal Accordian Mini File (by the very talented Valerie Stangler to do instead of a traditional sketch! I decided to make mine School themed since school is in session for most of us (yay) ! You can find all these fabulous Magnolia stamps at Magnolia-licious! To see the rest of the DT's fabulous projects and how to win a most magnificent prize go to the Magnolia-licious Highlites Blog HERE!

I thought it would be fun to make this accordian file for a young child who's just starting school to hold their ABC or Word cards in. My kids had many index cards with vocabulary & spelling words on them when they were in elementary school & I thought this Accordian Mini File would make quite a special holder for them! Of course it could hold many other things too--the uses are endless! You can find the directions to this Mini File right HERE! All of my dp is from the DCWV "Elementary School" pack and this is "Tilda w/ Slate"--isn't she a cutie! I had to give her patent leather red shiny shoes (done w/ diamond glaze). I made my mini file close a little differently than the directions--mine closes with a BG magnet that I covered with a large button.

This is the inside view--how fun is that, made with simple envelopes! I used my SU tab punch to make the colored tabs. And yes my projects are posed in front of my Bobbsey Twin books--my mom used to read these exact ones to me when I was little & I adore them. I actually bought the entire collection off of Ebay quite a few years ago & have some of them out & about. I have a thing for old books--I love 'em!!

I decided to make a fun bookmark to go along with the mini file to encourage a young one that learning to read is the best--how fun to give a child their own special bookmark. This is a magnetic tag from Petaloo (came in a pack w/ matching envies) that I just decorated with some more Magnolia images Tilda Resting on Elbows & Books (I couldn't find the exact ones I use but these are similar). I added 2 layered buttons to the cut-out for fun & some bright ribbons as well.

This is the inside of the bookmark/tag--it's magnetic so it stays closed which is perfect to hold a special page in a new book. I just layered some cardstock & left the inside blank so a special note could be written or a list of books the child has read. This gift set would be perfect with a gift card to a bookstore or a new book--what a way to encourage a child to read, the best gift in the world I tell ya is literacy!! If you know someone who would love this gift, it's for sale in my Etsy shop HERE!

Now make sure and stop by the Magnolia-licious Highlites Blog to see the rest of the DT's fabulous projects & how to enter for the grand prize!!


See ya tomorrow!
hugz,
Suzanne

27 comments:

  1. Fabulous project today, Suzanne!

    I'm a night owl too, almost never in bed till after 1 am... ;o)

    Hugas,
    Aud

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute set you have created Suzanne! Looks like fun.
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super adorable Suzanne. I love, love, love the bookmark. It will make a lovely gift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a darling idea, Suzanne, to make it a back to school theme. As always your coloring is fabulous, and the addition of the little magnetic tag is the icing on the cake. Super job...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous set you have made Suzanne! Absolutely adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wauw this is really super! Wonderful.
    Hugs Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely love it. I'm going to have a go with the tuturial as I'm sure it will be handy for a few of my crafting friends.

    I've been after this paper for ages but found out recently it has been discontinued in the UK :( I wanted to make my daughter a card with the papers as she starts full time reception on Monday, so will have to improvise with other dp.

    Jayne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely love it. I'm going to have a go with the tuturial as I'm sure it will be handy for a few of my crafting friends.

    I've been after this paper for ages but found out recently it has been discontinued in the UK :( I wanted to make my daughter a card with the papers as she starts full time reception on Monday, so will have to improvise with other dp.

    Jayne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful!!! Wow! Very nice!!!
    Huggies ~
    Sharron

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow this is awesome ;0)
    Love the colors you used!

    Janneke X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Suzanne,
    Like you I am a night person so I stupidly left my comment for your acordian file on the Magnilia site instead of your blog :o(
    It is delightful and I love the matching book mark. Wish I could find some of these magnetic closers and the book mark somewhere around here. Think they are great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow!! these are just fab! love the striking colour combo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a sweet set. The dark background makes the rest of the colors even brighter. The coloring work for the images ate superb! Now I wonder if I should start mine...
    Hugs,
    Cabio

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a night owl too and rarely go to bed before 1am even though I have to be up for work at 7am. Those perky morning people are so annoying!

    I love your project, and got a kick out of seeing that it is sitting on two Bobbsey Twin books! Those were my favorite books when I was a child, and are probably the reason why I am such an avid reader. Now that I have a niece and nephew to read to, I have been scouring antique stores and used book stores to find additional volumes to add to my collection. It is nice to see someone else has volumes that are just as well-loved as mine are! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Suzanne this is fab! I have to enlarge each of your images so I can study it up close. After working so hard on my prisma color pencils every time I try to use a copic I don't feel like I have the knack of it. Your copic images are always so wonderful! I have watched your videos over and over and over again! I hope I catch on soon! I am so jealous!
    Hugs,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love love love your adorable accordian file with matching bookmark. Great idea using the magnetic catch and your choice of colours & copic skills are amazing as always. Thanks for the inspiration. Hugs Oz_Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this project.... It seems so fun to do, I'll have to try to do one, Great colors Suzanne!

    Hugs Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great file and bookmark! I love how you changed the closure a bit to add the button! The bookmark is terrific! I think I ordered some of those once-wonder where they are....?

    ReplyDelete
  19. very adorable!

    we so need to hang out - missin ya!! maybe i can sneak out to one of your classes......hey where do you get your magnet closures - i need some good ones....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow...I think this is one of the cutest ones I've seen so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your back to school project is wonderful....what fun! I love your BLOG.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This turned out so cute, Suzanne! Love the primary colors and that Tilda is just too cute. Love it! hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful coloring...what an adorable set!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Suzanne! I was led here to download some of your Copics tutorials -- thank you so much! I am waiting for my first set to arrive in the mail any day....

    Then I was scrolling through some of your posts and your Bobbsey Twins book caught my eye! My mom has about 8 or 9 of those, and I re-read one or two them every time I go to visit. The Bobbsey Twins in the Country, The Bobbsey Twins in a Radio Play, The Bobbsey Twins at the Ice Carnival.... I think that last one may be my favorite!

    Now I'm getting all nostalgic... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Suzanne, this is magnificent!! I love everything about it!!
    --Hugs Becca

    ReplyDelete
  26. You rock! This is adorable!
    I got an awesome little package in the mail this week! Thank you so much! I had company the night I received it and they were amazed at your talent! Loved them!
    Blessings!
    ~Helen

    ReplyDelete
  27. This one is fab!!! So fresh and adorable colors and the total project is so lovely!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all your lovely comments and taking the time to stop by! hugz,Suzanne

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Pin It button on image hover