Tuesday, February 12, 2013

All About A Birthday!

Happy Tuesday to you all!  Today is a special day in our house because 15 years ago today I had my son Riley...almost 10 lbs, had to be induced and had him naturally (NOT by choice LOL).  He was so big that we had to return most of the newborn-baby-boy clothes and get 3-6 mos instead!  Even in my sonogram at 6 mos he had the plumpest, round cheeks hee hee.  He was the cutest, sweetest baby...yes I'm his momma...but he really was!  He was so calm, laid-back and always had a smile AND he was a momma's boy (till about age 13 sighhhh).  He also had the most beautiful brown-red curls all over his head...nowadays he still does & I'm always WANTING him to cut it, comb it or put it under a hat LOL.  And yeah he was a big baby and now he's a BIG boy...almost 6'3 and 200 lbs..pretty much can pick his momma up nowadays instead of the other way around.  And yep we've been struggling this past year with boy hormones, independent streaks, attitude and ALLLLLL those super fun things that happen with teens...some days I feel either that I've gone nutty or that my head is gonna be full of gray hair at some point soon.  BUT he is still the same empathetic sweet boy that he was, he just likes to hide it under a gruff exterior...but his momma knows better ;)  He's all about football, playing it, watching it, listening to it...and hockey and baseball too.  He's training for the high school JV football team now..building muscle & making himself bigger..makes me proud and sad...sighhhh.  If you are a parent you know what I'm talking about...that moment when you are proud of how they've grown and who they are becoming but miss the child they have left behind (sniff sniff).  I'm soooo there especially with Alexa turning 17 in a few mos too ugh.  I'm so proud of him, he had a great season in football, he treats people with respect, he's super smart (if unmotivated at times lol), loves his animals, and has a heart of gold...I know that whatever he puts his mind to, he will DO.  So Riley, I love ya baby (yup you'll always be the baby) and I'm so honored to be your mom and that I get to witness you becoming a young man.

So we aren't gong to Disney World like we did last year (sorry lol)...but we got him some gifts that he will get thru-out the day, we'll go to dinner and celebrate tonight and then this weekend he's going to a Washington Capitals Hockey game with his friends in DC.  So lots of fun and so appropriate that I have a Birthday post today...albeit a girly one hee hee!


HAPPY 15TH BIRTHDAY TO YOU RILEY!!! 
WE LOVE YOU!

A slideshow of pics of Riley from baby to now...I skipped a few years but concentrated on his cute baby smile :)  (YES I'm aware he may KILL me after this LOL....but as usual I don't care)



NewsBitz:

-I'll be in Florida next month teaching just one day in Bonita Springs if anyone would like to come out!  Two fun Copic classes...both are new classes and it will be laid-back & fun and just spent coloring :)  See more details HERE!  Hope to see you soon!


***************************************

All About Birthdays Challenge!!

So today we have a NEW & FUN Magnolia-licious & Wee Stamps Challenge...notice the change?  Yes Magnolia-licious has lots of NEW changes...they carry Wee Stamps now, we have ONE combined Design Team and we have new challenges each month along with blog hops 6 times a year!  So lots of new things in store and we hope you will join us for the fun too!  

All details are on the Challenge Blog HERE (check out the new banner by DT Norma Lee too)!

Every other Tuesday we will have a Challenge with a theme that everyone may participate in by using either a Magnolia and/or a Wee Stamp image.  
This challenge is "ALL ABOUT A BIRTHDAY"...
so anything that celebrates a birthday will do! 


I decided to create a Birthday Book & Card Organizer that has been on my to-do list for...ahem...2 years now LOL!  I used "Tilda with Big Ice Cream" from Magnolia-licious Love Collection cuz she's too cute!  All my papers from My Minds Eye/Prima got distressed real good.  I layered some Prima flowers on the front and then used some dies as well...the white leafy die is from La La Land, the pale blue swirl and the white border are both Memory Box Dies (Amira Flourish, Tessatina Border).  I used Spellbinder dies to cut out the main logo element...the words were done on my computer & printed out in pink and then I stamped a few swirls in pale blue as well.  The white leafy elements got coated with Stickles and the whole book got a few sprays of Maya Road Spritz in Snow White for a soft-all-over sparkle/sheen.

I'm entering this into the following challenges:

Crafty Bloggers Network (anything goes)
Created With Love (birthday, emboss, diecuts)
Eureka Stamps (pearls & swirls)
Stamps + Fun =Create (pink, vintage)



This is the inside of the book...I used older papers from My Minds Eye & Prima because I needed larger 12x12 papers for this project.  The actual kraft binder and birthday/note pages are from PTI (Paper Trey Ink) and I bought 3 of each LOL with the hopes to make them up as gifts.  I love the inserts becuase the numbered page folds over and creates a flap for each month so you can stick cards, receipts, notes, etc into each one.  I put a strip of Scor-Tape on the bottom of each page so the flap stayed shut on the bottom creating a real pocket so things don't fall out.  You of course could use this for things other than birthdays too.  I also created a belly band with ribbon and a tab to hold everything tightly together and it easily comes off with velcro, just another accent. 



I used this cutie from Magnolia-licious is called "Tilda with Big Ice Cream" from the Love Collection because she's cute as can be!  She got colored with Copics and then I added some Stickles to her ice cream, dress trim and sparkly "Uggs" (I think they look like Uggs ahahaha)!  Ok I used RV11,RV32,E04 in Copics/ RP196,RP137 in TouchTwins for the pink dress.  E04 was only used just a bit for dark shadow inside folds.



The tabs I made with coordinating papers using my SU tab punch..quick and easy to do and you can write or stamp the month/subject on each.

I distressed all my papers for a Shabby Chic look which I love using my Zutter Distress Machine.  To cover up any areas of kraft binder showing through I used my Distress Paint Dauber in Picket Fence and laid down a couple of coats...it dries quickly and gives a vintage look, easy to use too (I did all the edges before adding any papers).


There are 12 tabs/pages for each month of the year no matter what you decide to use it for.



That's it from me today...I'm off to pick up a prezzie that came in for Riley at Best Buy and a cake for tonight!  Hugs to you all!


34 comments:

  1. What wonderful pictures of "the Birthday Boy"! I can see why he holds such a special place, what an adorable baby, and look how far he's come. Although I know how close you are to both of your kids. Happy Birthday Riley, hope that joy always remains.......

    As for your Birthday book, all I can say is WOW!! How beautiful, Suzanne, what a gorgeous job. The coloring is just lovely and the paper choices and embellishments are just perfect. You did an outstanding job; what an inspiration! Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to Riley and thanks for sharing this adorable organizer. Hugs and happy crafting <3-Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow oh wow!!! This is absolutely stunning!!! I love every detail! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello sweetie.......... I hope you all have a fun filled BIRTHDAY DAY for Riley!!

    I love your project!! I am going to have to make one of these. I have birthdays written down on a piece of paper. I am SO SO BAD with birthdays and my New Year Res was to be organized with them. LOL... So if I make a book something like this maybe I can be. THANK YOU for the inspiration girlfriend.. big hugs........

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea! The colors are wonderful and I just love the papers your used. What a great gift idea too. You continue to amaze and inspire me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a fantastic project Suzanne..and before Ruby tries to scoop it up...I claim dibs!!
    I know just how you feel with Riley turning 15. I cried every...and I mean every first day of school. While I was so excited about the wonderful and fantastic things coming her way, I also mourned a little bit with each milestone because my baby girl was growing up. Guess what? I still miss that baby girl, but she has given me so much to love and so much to be proud of too. Have a wonderful day with your beautiful family today and big hugs to you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic Birthday Book Suzi..Loz

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a gorgeous creation, Suzanne. Wonderful and beautiful way to keep all the birthdays organized. Lovely work and awesome coloring of course. hugs, Angela

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so in love with your soft color combo on this book Suzanne. This is such a fabulous idea and I totally inspire from your project. I sure need to make something like that to remind myself! Thanks for sharing :o)
    Hugs,
    Cabio

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm afraid to tell you, Suzanne, that you have some sort of MALware on your blog. URL: http://www.twitterbuttons.com/images/ex/...
    Process: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\A...
    Infection: URL:Mal
    I don't know how to get rid of it but you should probably know about it! This is a beautiful birthday book and I'm pleased I dropped by to see it. Sorry that I'm bringing you bad news too! Hugs, Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there--
    Thanks for your comment, I appreciate it!
    The blog is fine....some blogger blogs give that warning due to the browser you may be using...its no danger to anyone to open it. If you are using Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox it sometimes happens....another thing is you may need to clear your "cookies/cache" and you will find that fixes the issue as well.

    Blogger alerts all owners if there is a security risk/malware server issues and my server runs scans everyday so I know its fine :) but thanks for the note---

    hugz,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I hate that the babies grow up. It doesn't get any easier, but we have to act like it does so they can go on to be the wonderful people that we've always seen and know is hidden deep down in that rough exterior they put on. I absolutely love this birthday book and every aspect of it! The colors are so you and I love all the diecuts, swirls, but those tabs are fabulous! And just remember that you and I go way, way back when it comes to callig dibs on this gorgeous book!

    Hugs,

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Suzanne,

    Happy Birthday to Riley today :o)

    Gosh we all could use a Birthday Book, it's just finding time to make one LOL
    You have used such pretty papers! Tilda is gorgeous!! I really love your project and all the wonderful decorations you have added to it :o)

    Big Hugs, Candy

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMGoodness!...don't they grow fast, Suzanne? Riley is such a handsome young man. Wishing Riley a very Happy Birthday.

    Awesome Birthday Book. Love all the pretty artwork you've done and lovely on the inside as well. A gorgeous creation.
    Hugz,
    Cathy Lee

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW Suzanne, this is absolutely gorgeous. Such delicate col;ours and lots of fabulous detail.
    Thanks for sharing at Created with Love.
    Sandra xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. your Birthday book is gorgeous Suzanne. Such lovely colouring. I love the tags on the pages too.
    i enjoyed seeing the photo's of Riley as a small tike. Such a cutie.
    Birthday wishes to him.
    Hugs Maz

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your little boy is growing into quite the man. Happy Birthday to Riley ... I'm sure he will be spoiled on this special day (that's the best part for us Mom's and Dad's!).

    Your Birthday book is nothing short of amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great book!! Would make a great gift...for someone like my daughter who is always calling me for addresses and birthdays. Thanks for taking part in our Birthday (plus) challenge this week at Created With Love Challenges

    ~~Chris

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! Gorgeous!! Thanks for joining us this week at Created With Love Challenges for our Birthday with Die cut & Embossing Challenge!
    DawnD

    ReplyDelete
  20. AWE Happy Birthday to your son!!!! LOVE the Birthday book you made!!! Oh it is soooo Adorable!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just love this book... simply beautiful. Love the colors, so soft and pretty. Happy Birthday to Riley... I soooo know how you are feeling. I have a pic of my Tim just like that with baby food prunes all over his face with the same smile I see in Riley's face...hope you all had a great time. xxx Ann Marie

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG This is Gorgeous! Love the colors and style I gonna have to check this out to see about making one! Thanks for joining us at Created With Love Challenges Challenge this week.
    Lisa O

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is creative, fresh and just gorgeous!! Great job, and thank you SO MUCH for sharing this in our Pearls and Swirls Challenge this week.
    Blessings,
    Karen
    Eureka Stamps

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow this is beautiful. Great die cuts and the book is wonderful and a great idea. Thanks for sharing that one. Your son will probably love what you did but won't tell you that. Thanks for playing along with us at Created With Love Challenges.
    Linda K.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the image, colours and all the embellishments and distressing. Thanks for joining us at The Crafty Bloggers Network Challenge.

    Sylvia x
    CBN DT

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the image, colours and all the embellishments and distressing. Thanks for joining us at The Crafty Bloggers Network Challenge.

    Sylvia x
    CBN DT

    ReplyDelete
  27. Absolutely gorgeous! Saw it on MIM.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, this is a stunning gift idea! I love the pastel shades of the papers and your cute Magnolia. All the embellishments finish the cover off perfectly.
    Sarah xx :0)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hy Suzanne,
    first of all i must say your Riley and his smile is really beautiful.Congratulations for your fantastic son.
    So now i'll come to your Birthday book:
    It looks so wonderful,the colours are really amazing,the image is so great and all the details are so gorgeous.
    I'm very charmed for your beautiful work.
    Many thanks for joining us at SFC.I'll hope to see also on our next challenges.
    Many hugs and greetings
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is so beautiful! Love it!
    Thanks for playing with us at SFC!
    Hugs, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  31. What I love most about your project are the soft colors that you chose to use. They are just so dreamy! I love the concept. You have a great project! Tilda looks gorgeous as always! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Suzanne, just catching up with all you lovely ladies. I so love this amazing creation. What a wonderful transformation you've achieved. The pretty papers,florals and tabs are so perfect as is that adorable Tilda.
    Hugs
    Suzi

    ReplyDelete
  33. I hope he had a fantastic birthday! Love, love, love the birthday book/card holder. So gorgeous

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all your lovely comments and taking the time to stop by! hugz,Suzanne

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Pin It button on image hover